Saturday 2 July 2022 \



Smoking warning works, if on front of cigarette pack

Source : AFP / 5 Sep 2013

Big anti-smoking messages on the front of cigarette packets may help deter youngsters tempted by tobacco but have little effect when they are on the back of the pack, research has found.

Touching on a subject that has stirred controversy in countries where pro- and anti-tobacco lobbies are fighting over smoking controls, investigators looked at data from a large survey among British teenagers.


A Vitamin that Could Change Your Life: Folic Acid

By Sehnaz Dogu Ekicikol / 3 Sep 2013

To have a beautiful, healthy baby is the dream of all would-be parents. Nevertheless, dreams do not always come true. Austin was a very healthy boy. He used to sleep and eat nicely. In fact, he was very good and everything was wonderful until he was five months old.

Austin's mother started to worry when she noticed that his eyes had started to cross and he stopped rolling, babbling, and laughing. Later on, he was not able to hold his head up. Austin's mother had him checked by several doctors, and finally he was diagnosed with cerebral folate deficiency. All parents do everything they can to keep their children healthy. The creation of a baby in a mother's womb still remains a wonder not fully explained by scientists. Birth has been a mystery in the life of human beings since the beginning of history.


The role of Calcium in human health

By Dr. Mohye el Din / 2 Sep 2013

CA is the most abundant mineral in the human body, it is essential for the development of strong bones and teeth.

About 99% of the body calcium is located in the skeleton, the other 1% is distributed in blood and soft tissues and plays an important part in vital functions as nerve conduction, muscle contraction, blood clotting, membrane permeability and hormonal signaling.


WHO cites Turkey as a reference in struggling smoking

Source : World Bulletin / 31 Aug 2013

Turkey, which the World Health Organization (WHO) cites to the world as a reference in the struggle against smoking, will explain to 28 countries how to conduct studies on tobacco control within the scope of a project which will include the contributions of the Turkish ministries of health and finance and the Turkish Green Crescent Association.


Study: Children of overweight women die younger

Source : AFP / 29 Aug 2013

Children born from obese women were 35 percent more likely to die prematurely in adulthood, according to a study Wednesday that warned of a growing epidemic.

Researchers in Scotland traced 37,709 children of 28,540 women who gave birth between 1950 and 1976. The children were aged from 34 to 61 at the time of the study published in the online journal Researchers included the data of 6,551 children that had already died prior to the start of the study.


Obesity: Gulf states world ‘heavyweight’ contenders

By Faith Barker / 25 Jul 2013

People in the Gulf are among the fattest in the world, according to a recent U.N. report.

Kuwait fared the worst among Gulf states, with 42.8 percent of its adult population classed as obese. This puts it in the top 10 most obese countries in the world.

Saudi Arabia and Qatar are not far behind, with 35.2 percent and 33.1 percent respectively.

In the United States, often scoffed at for being a nation of fat people, 31.8 percent of people are obese.


US study links pollution to autism risk

By AFP / 20 June 2013

Pregnant women who were exposed to high levels of air pollution were twice as likely to have a child with autism as women who lived in low pollution areas, a US study said yesterday.

According to experts at Harvard University, the research is the first large national study to examine links between the prevalence of pollution and the development of the developmental disorder.


WHO: 75% of coronavirus victims are males

By MD Rasooldeen / 11 June 2013 

The World Health Organization (WHO) said yesterday that 75 percent of new coronavirus cases (MERS-Cov) in the Kingdom were males suffering from serious chronic diseases.

The WHO made this observation in a communique addressed to the Ministry of Health through its office in Riyadh.


WHO to help Saudi Arabia investigate coronavirus before haj

Source : Reuters / 25 May 2013

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that it would help Saudi Arabia dig deeper into deadly outbreaks of a new SARS-like virus to draw up advice ahead of the annual haj pilgrimage, which attracts millions of Muslims.


Prophetic Medicine in Modern Life

By Karima Burns / 16 May 2013

Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “The stomach is the central basin of the body, and the veins are connected to it. When the stomach is healthy, it passes on its condition to veins, and in turn the veins will circulate the same and when the stomach is putrescence, the veins will absorb such putrescence and issue the same”.


We recommend

Social Networks