Sunday 18 April 2021 \

 

Saleh and Yemen opposition agree ceasefire

Yemen violence leaves scores dead/ guardian.co.uk

 

 

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies/October 25/2011

 

Yemen's government and dissident general Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, whose forces have been engaged in bloody battles for weeks, have reached a ceasefire agreement, an official statement said.

 

Tribal forces led by the powerful Sheikh Sadeq al-Ahmar, who backs the general and who has thrown his support behind the pro-democracy movement that has rocked Yemen, also agreed to the ceasefire, sources in his office said on Tuesday.

The statement on the state news agency website said a committee which had been assigned to negotiate with the opposition forces "declared a ceasefire in the capital Sanaa that will go into effect at 3:00pm".

The truce, it added, had the "goal of ... bringing calm ... and ensuring the safety of the capital, its people and their properties".

 

The statement added that the government and rival forces would remove checkpoints and barricades set up throughout the capital asdeadly clashes and battles intensified between the feuding parties.

Yemeni troops loyal to President Ali Abdullah Saleh have fired on crowds of protesters calling for his removal multiple times in the past week, killing at least 20 people, medics have said.

Another demonstration formed in the early morning hours in the capital Sanaa on Tuesday, with protesters marching through the streets surrounding Change Square, the epicentre of the nationwide movement calling for Saleh's resignation.

The protesters were marching towards Sanaa's al-Qaa district, an area controlled by pro-Saleh troops, when they were fired upon with live ammunition, witnesses told the AFP news agency.

Three of the dead reportedly reached a field hospital run by the revolutionary doctors, while three other bodies were taken to the state-run al-Jumhuri hospital in the capital, sources told Al Jazeera.

'Listen to your people"

"The people want to prosecute the butcher," the Associated Press news agency quoted the protesters as chanting. They were demanding a trial for Saleh.

Some also held up posters saying that after the death of Libya's Muammar Gaddafi, it was time for Saleh to "listen to your people".

 

Amid the shooting, the marchers were forced to retreat from the surrounding streets towards Change Square, AP said.

Saleh's forces in Sanaa have exchanged gunfire with troops from renegade army units lead by Major-General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, who defected to the opposition early on in the uprising and whose forces now escort and protect the protesters.

Mohammed al-Qubati, who runs a field hospital at the protesters' camp site, said at least 40 people were wounded by Saleh's forces during Tuesday's shooting.

He said dozens also suffered breathing difficulties because of tear gas fired by the troops and several passed out.

Violence in Sanaa has escalated in the wake of a non-binding UN Security Council resolution urging Saleh to sign a Gulf states-brokered deal that paves the way for his resignation.

Saleh welcomed the resolution on Monday, but has so far refused to sign the agreement, despite increased regional and international pressure to do so.

Meanwhile, in Yemen's second largest city Taiz, seven civilians died and at least 30 others were wounded in shelling and in clashes between armed tribesmen who back the anti-government protesters and pro-Saleh troops, medics and sources told Al Jazeera.

Witnesses there described scenes of fear and chaos as mortar shells fell randomly on city neighbourhoods overnight and early on Tuesday, damaging dozens of houses and forcing schools to shut down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We recommend

Social Networks