Saturday 7 December 2019 \

 

Jailed 'Innocence of Muslims' Filmmaker Vows to Finish Movie Blamed for Benghazi

"Of course I'm proud of it. If I could go back, I would do it again,” said Nakoula, 55, a Coptic Christian

By Agencies / 12 June 2013

The controversial filmmaker whose crude Internet trailer was blamed by the White House for sparking last year's deadly Benghazi attack vowed to finish his movie, which he said is aimed at fighting terrorism, not denigrating Islam.

Breaking his silence from inside a facility under the authority of the federal Bureau of Prisons in southern California, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula told FoxNews.com in a series of phone interviews that his film "Innocence of Muslims" has been widely misunderstood, and not just in being singled out as causing the Sept. 11, 2012, attack that left U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.

Nakoula, who was thrust into the international spotlight — and then federal prison — after the White House  blamed the 14-minute, amateurish trailer for the attack, says he has more than two hours of footage to complete the film, for which he hopes to find a distributor upon his release on Sept. 26.

"Of course I'm proud of it. If I could go back, I would do it again,” said Nakoula, 55, a Coptic Christian born in Egypt who came to the United States in 1984. “Everybody gets hurt in this culture. We need the world free of this culture. We have to fight it.”

In November, Nakoula was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Christina Snyder to one year behind bars for lying to his probation officer about his film and using fake names in the production of the project. The deceptions violated the terms of his probation for a bank and credit-card fraud conviction in 2010. Nakoula declined to comment on the sentence.

 

We recommend

Social Networks